The humans of Riquesa - My creative engines

Introducing Innocent (in Jean Jacket) and Deepsea (right behind him) on one of those days we had to work late. These are two of the amazing folks that make me shine. (Photo credit: Innodum)


Today is the day the Lord has made and I’ll be glad enough to talk about my other ten gladiators; these are the amazing people, sometimes annoying but damn right productive that passed through my team this year at Riquesa Africa.

I think I wrote about how unlucky I felt when a couple of them had to leave at different points under different circumstances but each and every one of them holds a place in my heart for their magic and how they individually made me shine, I present the gladiators of my Creative & Strategy agency within the agency.

Trend, the one that held forth, and my John the Baptist; one wise that gives nothing away. Class of Glenfiddich this moment and on sachet action bitters the next. I rate this guy highly and we even live in the same neighborhood, dude walked not long after I joined but his touch is felt almost every day.

There’s hardly a day someone won’t mention Trend’s name; if Sandra isn’t making reference, Tolu is telling me to check what he did or Ese is dialing up his name like he impregnated her and didn’t take responsibility. An intelligent creative lead that knows his job, and is a great guy too.

Dara stepped into Trend’s shoes and he was indeed the one that settled me into office. A different kind of guy that has this deceptive demeanor; you’d think he’s the quietest around but hear him crack us up or give special names to people and things, he’s also a trained doctor.

How did a doctor become a creative artist? When it’s in you like peak believe me it’s in you. Dara has a way he works and if you let him have his way, he will come through beyond your imagination. He got married last weekend and it’s a good time to remind him he owes me a hoodie; I’m texting him.

Jason’s exit hurts me more than I can explain but it is what it is. Another creative talent that torched sunshine on my decks. Jason is the definition of premium that Sandra craves but dude would rather play a number 10 role from distance but the system doesn’t run that way.

Each time I look at a plan I did for Legend (Only Legends Can), all I see is the brilliance of Jason with his creative input. Health challenges come in various forms and we handle them separately, was great seeing him glowing at Dara’s wedding and he’s a guy I hope to have drinks with again soon.

Olumide and I worked at Brand Regimen for over two years and somehow, I found him in my team again at the theatre of dreams. Another guy that fronts quietness but can be in his element on his days too. Funny and smart, another creative guy with lots of quality.

Deepsea is probably my office sidekick and one of the most underrated around. Creative guys are easy to criticize and it’s normal for someone to stand behind them and direct them like it’s thread and needle but I appreciate every single one of these guys and not the least Deepsea.

A singer, instrumentalist, and the tallest in the building. He looks more like a brother now that he’s taken off his locks. I was going to write about someone I know he has a crush on and even though both of them are having a dramatic beef, they can’t deceive me that there’s nothing in there but I won’t be an agbaya.

And then the current creative lead, the one and only Rastaman of Riquesa, official in-house DJ and leading candidate for Outsider of the year, Innocent Innodum of the Obidient clan. Funny guy by all standards, he should be called the king of bars, you’ll understand if you’ve ever seen him design before.

As we speak, Innocent has burned out and it’s understandable. No retreat no surrender though, the job is the job and he’s also enjoying himself. I’m done with all of them for this year by the special grace of God and the atileyin of Mohammed, if they call me for anything until January, I will have them arrested.

I’ll return tomorrow with the final part of my gladiators, I’ll be talking about the Strategy arm of the team and you’ll read about the tale of a Benin witch, a gentle Edo queen, the one that drinks sprite in a red cup and a supposed star boy that refused to shine.

Here’s me thanking everyone of my creative support, from Trend to Dara, Jason, Deepsea, Olumide, and Innocent. Y’all are the best and for the latter three, I can’t wait to go again with you guys in January. The goal is to win, whatever the structure is, we remain one happy team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs