The emergency groomsman and the other gender

 

Not totally related but I remember we had to fly bike on our way to Demola's wedding that year with the emergency groomsman running late. (Photo credit: Art by Rex)

It was February 2018; Demola was getting married and I was prepared to attend. Demola and I went to Lead City, he was based in Abuja at the time and I knew he was planning to relocate; in fact, the lady he was getting married to flew in from Canada for the wedding.

Demola called me very early on Saturday (his wedding day) to ask if I’ll be his best man LOL. It wasn’t for lack of suit or swagz but I politely turned down the offer as I wouldn’t be able to stand for long through the process but I provided a solution.

I called up Tunde immediately and told him to come to my house. The dude showed up about half an hour later and I ran him through my suits. In about an hour, we set out to Egbeda for the wedding, and lo and behold, Tunde met Demola for the first time and the rest is history.

“Chairman”, “baba” and three million handshakes later, Tunde stood right behind Demola on his wedding day as his best man despite the fact that they met and spoke for the first time on that fateful event day. We laugh and talk about it these days but can the other gender relate?

I didn’t set out today to drag the daughters of Eve but is there a reason they don’t come through for one another as boys do? I was going to share another example but it’s a little extreme. I don’t want anyone to think we cover up for ourselves in that context.

Okay, here’s another example. I remember how we were almost twelve in my apartment one time like that; all boys going to work in the morning, hanging out in the evening, and effectively dropping messages if you’re expecting visitors to allow the clan arrange.

I have never seen boys fighting in a Lekki apartment before but the other gender? They’re on Instablog every day with stories that touch. The crux of the matter is that men stand up for men way more than ladies do, we don’t compete, instead, we support ourselves.

I’ve seen women hang themselves out to dry many times and then come back to say women don’t support women. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, men are not the problem of women, women are the problem of women. You can come for me, I’m bored.

 

Comments

  1. Seeing myself in that Demola guy.. only that I’m scared I won’t be late to my wedding program 😎

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs