Stories that touch from my eye clinic...

 

Insecurity is a cancer that one should never entertain, it's a menace that should never be encouraged. (Photo credit: Google)

I was at the eye clinic early this morning and witnessed a mini drama. I was waiting my turn to see the consultant ahead of a series of exhausting tests when a couple dragged themselves into the waiting area, the wife is the patient while the husband guided her passionately to a seat.

It was clear to see that the wife couldn’t see a thing, they’re quite popular at the clinic with a few of the staff coming around to say hi to them and the whole familiarity thing was obvious; the man had to walk to the registration area to sort her card and have her name on the list for consultation.

I went in to see the doctor and by the time I came out, the lady was singing. You can tell they attend an orthodox church with the kind of hymn she was singing; I was to wait my turn again to have a test in another room so, I had to sit and this time, close to this couple as my initial seat was already taken.

A female doctor (my fav at the clinic) came to them and she placed her palm on the wife’s shoulder while engaging her in questions; guess what? The wife legit said she won’t talk to the doctor and her reason was quite weird. She said the doctor smells like her husband’s ex, and she can’t deal.

The husband laughed hard, and you can tell it was not the first time, he signaled to the doctor to go; he held his wife’s hand and told her to continue the song she was singing. Folks were getting interested but I had to go in for my first test, I was pained I’d miss out on their drama.

God is good and kind, the attendant that came in to drop my file off for the person handling the test is like one person I know, she is an aproko genius. In about 60seconds, she dropped enough gist for the person running the test as she was setting my eyes on the equipment much to the delight of my listening ears.

Apparently, it wasn’t a new development and they’ve seen the display before at the clinic. The wife lost her sight in an accident last year and they’ve been a regular fixture at the clinic with the husband constantly reassuring her of his presence regardless.

I had a bigger problem so, for a good period I totally forgot about the couple until I had to use the waiting area again, it was how the husband kept reminding her that she already won a battle against his ex and that she needs to stop allowing the ex to live rent-free in her head.

It’s a case of sheer insecurity. I don’t know what the back story is but it’s easy to guess how it went down but, why do people blow things out of proportions? The act of the man I saw was one I’ll forever be proud of; his patience and emotional intelligence should be celebrated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs