The death of the King's Horseman... I'm in tears

 

Biyi Bandele, the director of Half of a yellow sun, Blood Sisters and King's Horseman is dead at 54... Life is cruel. (Photo credit: His IG)

I woke up to the sad news of the passing of legendary storyteller and movie director, Biyi Bamidele and I can’t explain how much pains I feel right now; for lots of reasons, I’m hurt and all I can say is “Valar morghulis”.

I had a conversation with Uncle Biyi and I was elated. I wrote a story I shared with him, he was honest with me and the feedback he gave me made me better. I didn’t know I won’t get to see him directing a story I wrote or even screenplay my idea… I’m in pains.

I was almost going to feel cursed; it takes a lot for someone like Uncle Biyi to be your man, I know I’m quite emotional but this one hits different. Ada Ameh left the other day and another industry giant has walked without saying goodbye, wetin dey happen gan gan?

I’m primarily known as a strategy guy for experiential marketing but the part of me that tells stories is well known by some, one of those that encouraged me to continue turning out interesting and unique content just passed away and I’m wondering where I’ll go from here.

I’ve written stories for projects as a ghost writer, it hurts to see credits in movies and not see my name but of course, I got paid so it’s cool; and then I transited into full blown realm as a writer, ready to see my name on projects I’m involved in, and then one of those I hoped on to drive me to greatness exited the stage like this… Omo!

I know people die everyday, I understand everyone would leave at some points but how do you deal with nakedness in the market square? Uncle Biyi couldn’t even wait to see his King’s Horseman project premiere before leaving… Life is cruel.

Sometimes I wonder, all these scheming we do, hustle from dawn till dusk, brainstorming like running mad, saving up to buy Benz and running strategies to appeal to the significant other, what if death shows up anyhow unannounced? Is this thing even worth it? Make everybody getat abeg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs