Experience: My first ever agency presentation

 

It was the direct opposite of what I expected but it was a learning curve that I'll live to remember. (Photo credit: Google)

Memories of my rookie days in advertising crept in today and I am still laughing at myself for some weird situations I found myself way back LOL; know this and know peace, I am still learning and most definitely will never stop learning.

I started as a copywriter and even when I started, I barely knew the difference between writing love letters to Kemi then, or trying to be Hint or Heart Magazines journalist and, actually writing marketing communications copy... to win!

I shared an instance with my teammates, the first time I was to present a plan to the client; I’d done the whole document and paid all the attention in the world to the ATL part where my supposed “great copies” and scripts were fully called out…

There was this black silence in the room, I was expecting that to be broken by a round of appreciative applause or of course, some level of bashings but in all, I only got one response and it came in form of two questions and a strong arrow which incidentally was a question too…

Is your father rich? Are you an undercover yahoo boy?” a deeper level of satanic silence followed and then the evil dagger landed: “did you buy your college degree”? He (the head of my department then) stood up, looked at my line manager to “get this illiterate off my project”…

I was smiling like a crying man, the fact that no one else said anything told me how bad the situation was; a part of me was pained because I didn’t have a chance to defend anything but in hindsight, that pained part of me should go to blazes cos if I’d said anything in defense, it would be worse than Nigerians’ decision to ever vote Buhari.

I can go on and on about that day in hell, but it ended with the same HOD buying me lunch and even giving me a ride home, which was off his route. The rest is history today but the day in hell will always playback like it’s doing at the time of penning this…

Speaking of a day in hell, I’ve not forgotten my Bayelsa story. I will write about it tomorrow but right now, I have to attend to health…

See y’all tomorrow…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs