Bloodbath in Ondo... Where is safe in Nigeria?

 

Yet another bloodbath in Nigeria and you wonder if there's any stopping to this crazy turn of events... (Photo credit: Google)

While shuttling three different PPT decks, trying to crack an interesting, yet challenging brief, I caught the news of the sad incident in Owo, Ondo State and the only thing that came to my mind was a question: Where is safe in Nigeria?

Make no mistakes, nowhere is safe in the world but Nigeria is unbearable. You could actually be chilling in Canada and a wild wind will blow you off; they give all sorts of names to all the hurricanes that terrorize USA, the wild fire in Australia is well documented but all these are things men can’t control.

I know other countries suffer from self-inflicted issues too – America with the gun troubles – but today is about the killings in my country Nigeria. A young man was set ablaze by bike riders in Ajah recently, a young girl was murdered by a mob all in the name of blasphemy sometime recently, the list is endless.

And now, on a peaceful afternoon in June, unknown gunmen stormed a church and murdered scores of people; I don’t know how people are able to watch that gory video but it can’t be me. I’m a coward in that regard and I own it with my chest, I can’t watch.

Who did this to us? As at the time of writing this, it’s unclear if the killers were from the suspected region or whatnot, I’m just wondering if we’ll ever find safety anywhere in this country. Is this down to the presidency? State government or just the wickedness of the citizens?

I won’t be quick to say it’s herdsmen or bandits – scrap that latter, terrorists are terrorists, the bandit title is fraudulent and we all must maintain that energy. Something similar once happened in the East sometime ago and when investigations were carried out, it was revealed that it was a drug business gone wrong hence, I’ll be patient.

I need to know anyways why people enjoy shedding blood, how convenient it is for some people to just open fire on humans and waste lives; the mindlessness in this country is unbelievable and only God can have mercy on us.

I weep for the families that are grieving right now, I hope they find a way to deal with this pain but someday when questions are asked about the assailants, will there be justice for the dead?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs