Sugar Rush the movie... My honest review

 

How do you bring all these beautiful women under one roof and still deliver an underwhelming production? Sugar Rush didn't live up to the hype for me, what about you? (Photo credit: IMDb)

I’m a big Banky W fan, from his early days of Rihanna’s Umbrella cover to everything he’s done with EME, especially the gift of Wizkid up to his movie debut, I strongly feel he’s one of the best we’ve ever had and if I was eligible to vote in his constituency, I’d have voted him at the last election.

That said, I have a few takes on Sugar Rush – the movie and I gave that background so no one would think it’s coming from a point of bias. If you haven’t seen it, Sugar Rush was produced by Jade Osiberu and came from the stables of Banky W’s EME.

To go straight to the point, I’ll rate the movie 4/10 and it hurts more when you realize the director is one of the best in the continent, Kayode Kasum. I think they neglected the basics and trusted the expertise of the casts to make the movie bang, no dear… It didn’t.

The story is disjointed. A struggling family of three girls stumbled on huge windfall which they lost, got close to reclaiming and lost it again, and then they related it to Toke Makinwa’s character, she wanted to punish her cheating husband, she contracted the troubled girls to do the job… Lol.

The girls – Adesuwa, Bisola Ayeola and Bimbo Ademoye tried their best individually to give life to the movie but nah, not for me. Tobi Bakre’s role was the outlet, his street friend (Adedimeji Lateef) brought to fore the friendship magic, coming through when least expected, will have to watch again to see if anything else attracts me.

If you haven’t seen it, I hope you do and then challenge my reviews. The reality level of this movie is closer to zero than 1, so many things portrayed in this movie will never happen in reality, I know stranger things have happened but hey, see it first and tell me if that part where Bisola landed on Jide Kosoko’s legs isn’t impossible.

Speaking of impossibility, there are too many impossibilities in the movie. Williams Uchemba’s role isn’t only unnecessary, it also watered-down lots of what they were trying to achieve, I understand they wanted to push comedy but did they succeed at that?

Banky W’s role was the height of the errors. Did they try to paint Banky as a 60 year old? Or an old man that has supernatural powers to look younger than his age? His acting in Wedding Party and Up North should be the reference, Sugar Rush is a weak representation of his abilities.

So the three sisters got into Mawuli’s apartment and somehow, one of them was drooling to the point of pure seduction, your abductor o, more like you falling in love with someone that kidnapped you, let’s be thinking this thing well before we throw it out na…

Yo, I understand people find love in hopeless places but what is in your head at the time? You’re under pressure to save your own life having been placed under surveillance, you’re running against time and that’s when you want to sleep with a supposed fine boy?

I tried avoiding this but it’s the truth and you’ll kuku talk anyways so lemme just say it, the only part I felt they got right was the part it was revealed that Lateef was the one that ended up with the loot, how it was portrayed without shalaye, I like.

The production was clean no doubt, they spent money on effects and edits. A bit exaggerated but it’s okay, so much investment on quality stars but I have big problems with the storytelling, even the comic representation was weak.

Have you seen the movie? It’s on Netflix in case you haven’t. what do you make of it? Do you agree with my review? To be honest they did a madness with marketing but for all that hype and the quality of casts… 4/10 at best.

Comments

  1. Not just sugar rush...quite a number of Nigerian movies are overhyped and at the end when you watch you just go like "what's the noise about?"
    Sorry to mention including some of Kunle afolayan's but one thing we can't take from these hyped productions is that they do spend money from cast to camera and picture quality, sound etc. with some winning awards in "funny" categories which could be gratifying anyways!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs