The NEPA Boys are the kings of local content

 

Kamo and Ozain are the real deal when it comes to local content, their comedy is special, check them out and thank me later. (Photo credit: @Thenepabois)

Content creators and skit makers are blowing up the Nigerian entertainment space and we’re loving it. I won’t say someone isn’t funny or another one isn’t good enough, I’ll simply say they’re not for me but today, I want to celebrate The NEPA Bois.

There are chances that a non-Yoruba person might not be able to relate well with their content, but I’m not sure there’s anytime I come across their skits without laughing wildly, they’re that good and this has absolutely nothing to do with hype, I currently don’t work with them but the possibility is there.

Kamo and Ozain started off as the popular NEPA officials, chronicling situations from power officials on duty and the challenges they face from time to time, if you’ve ever been embarrassed by these people in real life, you’ll relate well with these boys.

I stumbled on them early last year and I’ve been a fan ever since, the quality of their comedy, their use of native language and the ability to sell with local content among other traits are the reasons they got me locked down, again I say they’re that good.

Like I mentioned, the only reason you might not relate with them is if you don’t understand Yoruba language, trust me their theatrics will suffice even if you don’t, the Ibadan vibes in them will give them away, verbal attacks and “abusive eloquence” … I know someone will say no wonder, yes no wonder.

The NEPA Bois have managed to incorporate seasoned actors into their skits and it’s part of why their rise is steady, they have done something with Femi Adebayo, Baba Lalude and Adedimeji Lateef, they have also gone beyond the NEPA stories.

They have branched out into other characters and I’m loving it, you will too. It is how they sell their brand partners with intelligent storytelling and salient messages that wins me over, and I’m surprised they don’t have major brands leveraging their platform.

Kamo is the senior NEPA official that leads the charge for disconnection while Ozain is more like Lord of Ajasa, the way they blitz through each other especially when shit hits the fan that sends me rolling, and somehow, you’ll see them accepting fate together because they always run into trouble together.

The NEPA Bois had a show in Ibadan recently, their own stand up comedy gig and the number of people I saw in that hall that day proved to me that their craft is well accepted beyond words, how many of these skit makers can shutdown a hall like that?

There’s value in local content, the craze for western acceptance will be the end of us if we don’t appreciate our own. If these boys can bring out solid content from everyday life like they’re doing, then there’s hope for the mother tongue.

I hope to see more of them as I expect them to look beyond standard practice, if corporate brands will partner with them, they have to begin to make forays into contents that appeal to corporate brands while sticking to their language, here’s an example:

Most brands always interpret their ads into the languages of particular regions, we’ve seen and heard Airtel, MTN and Bank ads on TV and Radio Stations respectively, that means they know there are numbers in those regions for them to activate, local language still sells.

They have conquered the grassroots, they need to level up and make themselves appealing to the corporate world as well, interestingly I can confirm that they’re well and truly on their way to that level, they must not stop because they’re the real deal.

Vader, the agbero of Lagos has to be the darling of skit making right now and despite starting recently, his growth is exponential, his positioning is the reason brands like Orijin and Tech space giants are partnering with him, local content with corporate feel, I hope you get me now.

I must also mention that The NEPA Bois’ humility is enviable, very respectful guys by all standards and that will be a currency they’ll be able to lavish when need arises, I am a big fan and I’m rooting for them, check them out on IG: thenepabois and thenepaboys­_ozain.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs