Shey these skit makers dey whine me ni?

 

The talent pool available to us as Nigerians is heartwarming but are these people as rich as their lifestyles suggest? (Photo credit: Pulse NG)

Today, I choose to demystify another perception and trust me, I know for sure that it’s not hearsay or assumptions; it will help you to stop seeing yourself as a failure or probably think some people have it better.

You must have seen skit makers lounging and swiping cards everywhere like they’re the richest in town, announcing new houses at Banana and highbrow areas and you wonder if you’re scissors or teaspoon, my dear, listen to me like you’re listening to all those CAC revivalists, all na lie!

I am quite close to a number of them and I have people that know many of them, there’s no industry with a faux lifestyle like Nigerian entertainment and the height of it all is the skit-making/content creation arm; only a handful of them made money from content and I’ll walk you through what I mean.

Again, this is not me trying to play down someone’s achievement or undermine the hustle, I’m a hustler too and I write for a few of them, but that white Range Rover Evoque didn’t come from only one hit of a skit out of about 30, I see you’re looking around to guess who owns the sub, I won’t tell you.

 You too see, you suddenly hear of a skit maker, he does one or two hits that are genuinely funny and the next thing, he’s buying a property in Ikoyi; to make it a little believable to the gullible internet community, he jumps on one herbal remedy or one emergency crypto brand and boom! He’s a billionaire, e ma pami nau?

So, there was this guy that told the story of a famous skit maker recently and I’ll touch on it in case you’re still in doubt; this guy was always doing a fake giveaway on Twitter lol and this my guy ran into him to see how he can help him as a storyteller that can also be funny.

Fast forward to three months and this guy was legit using his hard-earned money from graphic works to fund this celebrity skit maker’s lifestyle all in the name of trying to learn. It was later he found out that baba was a premium yahoo boy that was hiding behind skit making.

Of a truth, there’s a goldmine on YouTube when you’re monetized but omo forget, how much content do these people roll out to earn all this money they flaunt? Before you talk about endorsements, know that many of them exaggerate the package, and what goes on behind the scene will never be open to you.

You’re free to idolize your favs but never let anyone make you feel like you’re not doing enough. You may want to find out how these people raise that money so you don’t continue to wallow in self-pity unnecessarily; I’m intentionally avoiding talking about the ladies cos of the misconception, I don’t have feminists’ energy today.

I don’t want to put a number to it but if you know how many of these skit makers actually run things they’re not proud of behind the scenes to keep up the appearance, you will just enjoy those that are funny without wishing you were in their shoes, can you fan the cat all night? Can you roam the bush at 1am? Be careful what you wish for. Oluwa a wa pelu e o.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs