When you need to stoop to conquer...

 

Humility certainly doesn't ruin everything but coconut head does. (Photo credit: Google of course)

Personally, I don’t like the widely advertised concept of humility as I roundly believe it reeks of poverty, low self esteem and every unpleasant thing around that border but lately, I have come to understand the ageless saying that “kneeling for a dwarf doesn’t stunt your growth”.

Yesterday was quite revealing; not like I heard everything for the first time or I didn’t know a need exists for soul-searching and introspection; the manner of presentation and schooling didn’t only drive home the message, it also aligns with personal reinvigoration that I communicated yesterday.

I remember as a little boy, one thing I didn’t find funny was the way my parents always made me apologize for everything even when it didn’t make sense. I remember a particular woman in the neighborhood with a nickname of a broadcasting station LOL, I gave it away for those that know.

She reported me to my mom for seeing me with a particular girl which should ordinarily never be her business let alone a problem to her, but because the girl doesn’t greet her over long standing inter family issues, she automatically thought she had the rights to choose my friends for me simply because she’s friends with my family… Omo!

I was in my room when she came to report, of course she added ingredients to make the stew sweet and painted it like I was making out with the girl when all she saw was two teenagers talking over random topics; guess what? My mom relayed it to my dad with extra toppings too and I was asked to go apologize to the woman.

I was gutted, pissed to the heavens but as a good boy, I obliged and even though I did it with lots of attitude, I did it anyways. I did my best to avoid the woman till I became independent and while it wasn’t the only example of such, I never understood my parents’ needless diplomacy until recently.

I got strong recommendation for something really important recently off what you would call humility which I exhibited long ago but that’s not the point now; I am a witness to an inevitable consequence of someone’s inability to stoop low to conquer, I learned so much from it and I will ensure I don’t get used as a bad example too.

I know it’s hard, even harder when you feel you don’t owe the other party an apology but, you have no idea what ladder you’ll need to lend from that person; this world is not as difficult as we make it seem with unnecessary ego and coconut head… I rest.

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs