Have you forgiven Yakubu?

 

Yakubu missed this chance and things never remained the same. Have you forgiven him? (Photo credit: TheNFF)

I love football so much, I have over thirty football jerseys and as you may already know, 90% of them are Arsenal shirts and despite all the vows never to buy again following the champions league miss again, I already initiated contact with my plug (Arsenal Direct and Sean).

But football has hurt me more than women and I still find a way to go back to the round leather game. I know many won’t read this article because they’re probably expecting the gist of the Jezebel of Magodo, I will write about her tomorrow, I promise.

It was the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, I was a student at Lead City University Ibadan that year and was full of hopes on the Nigerian team simply because I thought we had the team to at least make the quarter finals, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one on that train.

We lost the first game to Argentina by a slim margin, even the goal should have been disallowed had VAR been introduced then. The second game was crazy, Nigeria led and then Sani Kaita moved mad and bagged a silly red card… We lost to Greece 2-1.

The third game was the one that a lot of people hate to remember. We could have qualified with a win and it was in our hands. South Korea weren’t all that even though they led 2-1. We had the easiest of chances ever and Yakubu Ayegbeni side-footed wide when the ball was actually going in.

His reaction afterwards was even worse; I understand people react differently to situations and he could have argued that he wasn’t lackadaisical but his sheepish laughter – which could mean disgust to him as well as surprise was taken by Nigerians as a show of shame.

I had the chance to spend that particular day with Sophie; after lots of appeal and chasing for almost three months, she eventually asked we go out but I chose to stay with Carson, Balo and Ambassador to see the game and it ended in tears… Don’t bother asking about Sophie.

Till date, many have not forgiven Ayegbeni and here I’m asking, have you forgiven him? We could have qualified for the next round of he didn’t miss that chance and in case you’re wondering, it wasn’t just a chance as the ball was actually going in and he diverted it wide.

I have forgiven him, but have you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs