Super Eagles can get lost with their 10-0 win

 

Whatever the 10-0 win over Sao Tome meant to these boys should stay with them, it was inconsequential as far as I'm concerned. (Photo credit: BBC)

I watched as the Super Eagles of Nigeria decimated a hapless Sao Tome and Principe team right before their own fans and I wondered where that vigor went when we needed just a goal to edge Ghana and qualify for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

Of course, I went outside with the clan from work afterwards to go enjoy the life of my head but I couldn’t get the façade of a result off my head as people started amplifying nonsense, celebrating the whitewash of a country that doesn’t exist on FIFA ranking… Nonsense.

I watched the game with some level of agony. I am an avid football follower and it means the world to me to see my country at the World Cup but when the time comes in November for the tournament to start, I’ll be here rooting for Netherlands and fantasizing about what will never happen.

I saw as the boys tore their hosts to shreds to record Nigeria’s biggest ever win in football and my question would still remain that couldn’t they have found a way to beat Ghana? Or it’s just down to the poor quality of the opponents?

Victor Osimhen scored four times, Etebo scored a sensational free kick and Terrem Monffi scored twice too. People celebrated the win but I just couldn’t; I am not a fan of glorious failure and I just need to find a place in my heart to forgive these lads.

When next they pray against achieving success at a meaningless time, I’d take it seriously as I can see the full use of the prayers. It’s like being able to raise a medical bill after the patient has passed away or dancing to the gallery when the show is over.

I’m not a kill-joy, enjoy the result and brag about it but the pain remains that my country will not be at the FIFA World Cup. I am not falling for the hype of the new manager; he lost his opening two games and I won’t suddenly crown him king after fighting tooth and nail to beat Sierra Leone and then destroying a low budget Sao Tome side.

10-0 is in the record books already but of what use is it when it doesn’t take the pain away? We missed out on the World Cup in 2006 after an unfortunate 1-1 draw at home to Angola and then we went to destroy Algeria 5-1, we’ve been here before.

I’m hurting and I can’t deny it. I hope we become better someday but as the tournament draws near, I can’t stop wondering where my broken heart goes from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs