It's my mother's birthday... My very own drama queen

 

This picture was from my baby sisters' introduction a little over a week ago. Happy birthday mummy. Have a beautiful new year. (Photo credit: Ramsey's iPhone)

It is well documented that I always preferred my father to my mother, I have answered that a lot of times and even in death, I remain a daddy’s boy but the place of my mother in my life can never be underestimated.

Today is my mother’s birthday, even when I wasn’t on a writing journey, I always found ways to script something for her but today, I choose to recount a few things from the past and maybe a little projection into the future, all for mummy.

I’ll start with this, I’m having a great day. Had a presentation earlier today that went better than I ever imagined, we had great ideas to be honest but clients would always find a way to punch holes but there was nothing to criticize, we killed it and congratulations are in order.

Yo Mummy! Lol I didn’t like my mother growing up and that was because she was always reporting me to daddy, of course I was very difficult to manage, I was quite mischievous and always running into trouble but I don’t know a great man that was gentle as a little child, I didn’t ask you for examples.

There was this incident when I was in secondary school. One of my classmates brought fish-rolls to class, it was plenty and he hid it somehow from trouble. He gave me one, I tasted and I asked he give me another, I passed one to Femi Balogun beside me, in record time the fish-roll was exhausted.

I only ate two, I shared 25 with classmates around us, those that were my friends and those that don’t annoy me, I actually thought it was surplus to requirement for the boy that brought them. But around 6pm that day, I was home with my folks, there was a knock on our door, it was the fish-roll boy with his mother with the bill, it was 27 Naira – One naira each.

To think I was just gisting my brothers that school was fun on that day, Maxi was even jealous only for me to realize it was not free. I actually busted into laughter, but I was the only one laughing, the rest were worried for me because they couldn’t understand how I finished fish-roll of that amount, say about 27k today, hilarious to be honest but my mother treated me like I was adopted that day.



I already talked about the day my mother had twins even though I lost that particular blog so I’ll rest that part. My mother’s hospitality is out of this world, I see her reaping fruits of that now tho with many the kids he housed or protected way back coming through for her now.

Growing up, I lost count of how many people’s children passed through our house, mom was always eager to take them in, send them to school and make sure they turn out well in life, that is worth celebrating about her, she’s a retired teacher by the way.

Mummy is such a knowledge seeker, I remember how she went back to school at the same time my elder brother was entering University too, she was always bragging about finishing with 2:1 but trust me to destroy that record danu danu… E pain am.

In a way, I can say my poor feeding habit was encouraged by my mom, she never forced me or any of my siblings to eat what we didn’t want to eat, I don’t know if that was a favor but I doubt I like how I struggle with food now, if she made yam back then, she’d boil rice for me.

She’s a a Sunday School teacher, even till date but I should talk about how she was always subbing me in particular with her teachings and all that was always remaining was to mention my name, it would be so direct that everyone would be starring at me during her classes, I forgive her tho.

My father wasn't interested in all my moves to be a singer or a creative, but mummy supported me. She was always giving me transport fare to go to studios back then, she's a creative herself and many of the stories she has told me will soon make it to the big screen, I'll give her full credits as well.

When my father passed away, I pitied my mother. The bond was out of this world, he was her only friend and when the news came, she was the first I thought of, I was critical of how badly she handled the whole episode but it was expected.

Not like she has healed, I know she’d still talk about it today but na she know, she doesn’t know when to rest with drama, I hope they don’t drag remote control with her today, let her watch her favorite actors and BBN, how she likes JayPaul baffles me tho but e no concern me.

I like how she doesn’t forward me all those WhatsApp stories shared in her baby boomers’ groups again, I changed it for her. How can they send you nonsense stories of something moving over earth and you shouldn’t wear red or how 5G is the root cause of Covid, if you don’t leave me alone.

I know she will read this, since they taught her how to use WhatsApp status, nothing passes her again. I’m a good boy, I’m not like Adekemi and Deola Xtra-Smooth that blocked their mothers from seeing their statuses.

So, happy birthday mummy, I wish you all of God’s blessings, long life in good health and abundance of wealth, have a beautiful new year filled with laughter. Reduce the drama small okay? And when you call, save me all the background stories, just straight to the point, thank you for understanding. Be good baby girl.

Comments

  1. Happy birthday mummy,grow well and strong for us,i love you,Adeola

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had to bring the part where she doesn't go straight to the point lol. Happy birthday sweetest mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to mummy she will live long to enjoy the fruits of her labour, Amen!!!
    Congratulations on your presentation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to Mummy. I wish her heaven's best. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If her name is Precious, you're single

One careless night

One hellish year and my one and half legs